Dr. Mary R. McCalla DEI Leaders in Otolaryngology Lectureship
UTHSC ENT is proud to lead the way in diversity, equity, and inclusivity initiatives. Recently, we launched this DEI site to host future information, tools, and events.
One such event is the Mary R. McCalla, M.D. DEI lecture series. Named for Tennessee native and renowned UTHSC specialist Dr. Mary McCalla, this series spotlights a different woman each year, focusing on physicians who demonstrate leadership in their field and in diversity efforts.
2022 Speaker: Cherie-Ann Nathan, MD, FACS
- The Jack Pou Endowed Professor and Chair: Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Director of Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery & Research: Feist-Weiller Cancer Center
- Shreveport-Bossier Commerce Department Athena Award for Community Service
- Champion of Hope by the American Cancer Society
- Leonard Tow Humanism Award
- 2020 Margaret Butler Outstanding Mentor of Women in Head & Neck Surgery Award
- Grateful patients and the Board of Regents of Louisiana established the Cherie-Ann Nathan Endowed Professorship in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
2023 Speaker: Carol R. Bradford, MD, MS, FACS
- Dean, The Ohio State University College of Medicine
- Vice President for Health Sciences, The Ohio State University Wexner
- Medical Center Leslie H. and Abigail S. Wexner Dean’s Chair in Medicine
- Professor of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Dr. Bradford’s many awards include a Clinical Excellence Award from Castle Connolly National Physician of the Year Awards in 2009 and the Women in Otolaryngology Helen F. Krause Memorial Trailblazer Award in 2019.
In 2012, she was inducted into the prestigious National Academy of Medicine. She was elected as the first woman president of the American Head and Neck Society in 2012, and received a Presidential Citation from this society in 2021.
She was inducted into the Gold Humanism Honor Society in 2021.
Next year’s DEI leadership lecture is slated for February 3, 2023. If you’d like to learn more about this–among our other initiatives–please bookmark our DEI site! We’d love to share our progress with you.